Tuesday, July 19, 2005


I am half-way through my summer project-based internship. I like my project because I have the opportunity to develop, market, and launch a product all within the span of 12 weeks. It has been an enormous learning experience and a big responsibility for an intern. I have cognizance over the project budget and it will succeed or fail based on my efforts. My vote is for success :)

The whole experience has been phenomenal. They put me up in a hotel and got me a rental car. I feel like a kept man. Additionally, I have actively sought out exposure to the company leadership. I have met the CEO, COO, CFO, and many VPs. They have been very accommodating and receptive to meeting. Some of the VPs have met with me for up to 2 hours, which is a long time when you have a $1 billion P&L. I am confident that Wharton credentials have helped me in my networking effort. Several of the C-level and other execs are Wharton alumni. I imagine that it is a bit more difficult to have coffee with the CEO when you are a new junior manager hire. I would advise everyone to seek out this sort of exposure while you have the opportunity.

It's hard to believe that I had not even arrived in Philadelphia 1 year ago. I can attest that I have learned and experienced a great deal over the past year. The bonds created with classmates have surpassed my expectations. We had our 2nd girl a little over 1 month ago and we received literally dozens of gifts, letters, and e-mails from my classmates. I don't have any regrets about leaving my stable job to attend Wharton. No risk, no reward.

In the news, John Roberts is the White House pick for the Supreme Court, replacing Sandra Day O'Connor (who is an exceptional lady by the way). He apparently is rather conservative. I thought Bush might pick someone more centrist because of all his bad press about Karl Rove among other things lately. I imagine John Roberts doesn't pass the abortion litmus test so will likely face a great deal of criticism and a probably a negative ad campaign. I'm sure it is disheartening for politicians and people in public service who are very interested in 'doing the right thing' but then have their whole life laid bare and criticized to the smallest minutiae.

No comments: