iPod finally released an MP3 player that plays video. I'm not sure what else is different except that it now comes in 30GB and 60GB versions. I could not possibly fill up 30GB of music. Maybe videos though--if I felt like converting home videos into the QuickTime format or whatever the iPod uses. But I'm not sure that you can copy video to the new iPod except through iTunes software. I wonder how long it will take hackers to figure out how to copy DVDs to the new iPod.Apple is trying to sell music videos for $1.99. It is going to be a hard sell since many sites provide music videos for free. But I'm sure they will get some money out of it. I think the stronger offering is downloadable episodes of desperate Housewives and Lost, which also cost $1.99 and are commercial free. Pixar is also selling several short animated films for $1.99.
All this comes 1 month after the Nano was released, for which demand greatly exceeded supply due to flash memory constraints. Video on portable devices has been around for years, but maybe it will take the Apple marketing machine to make it 'cool.' The main problem likely stems for the small screen size. Even with really high resolution, many people may have to hold the screen right up to their face. But who knows--those movie discs for the PSP have been selling at a brink pace, contrary to many analyst expectations.
No comments:
Post a Comment