JP and I are so blessed to have such a sweet "angel" baby. She is just precious. We've survived the first few days at home and have had lots of friends stop by with food and flowers. The flowers are really beautiful but the food has definitely helped give us the energy to function on little to no sleep. The labor experience was not as bad as I imagined. I began feeling "cramps" around 10pm on Monday, April 7th while watching one of my favorite shows "The Practice" and they progressed until about 1am when JP took me to DePaul Hospital. I was told that because of the weather change and the arrival of a Noreaster that lots of pregnant women were going into labor and DePaul was at capacity. In fact, they had to call nurses in who had already gone home for the day.
At 1am I felt pretty confident I had endured enough "labor pain" and was ready for my epidural but the nurse checked me and said to wait another hour. After about an hour and a half I sent JP to find the nurse and bring me my epidural. Finally at 3:30 am I was happy and had my drugs. Caroline was an "OP" baby so we had to get her turned around...Daddy was a great coach and watched the entire birth. His favorite words were "Holy Cow!". There were only four people in the room: me, a nurse Amanda, JP and the midwife, Blair. The atmosphere was very calm and not like the births I'd seen on TV.
Caroline laid on my stomach with her eye's wide open and looking around. She didn't really yell or cry but made some cute wimpers. The nurses said she was a "laid back baby". JP cut her embilical cord and helped clean her up. It was an awesome experience. We spent two nights in the hospital and got NO sleep b/c someone was constantly coming in and out of the room to check something. Poor JP, slept on a pull out chair--but he was able to participat in almost every aspect of the birth experience. He's already a great daddy and has changed virtually every diaper. I think I've done it 3 times and mine always come off. He's had to show me how to put them on!
We had lots of visitors at the hospital over our two day stay and receievd enough flowers to fill our hosptial room. Pop, Katie and Aunt Tess sent some georgeous flowers with lillies that everyone who came in the room commented on. Nana Tina and Ray also sent some beautiful white roses. Caroline is a very lucky girl and got lots of cards and phone calls. JP has taken about 10 days off from work to be at home with me and Baby Caroline...he has been such a great help and I can't imagine what it will be like to be home alone. Aunt Shannon is coming this week and then Grammy Pat and Nana Tina will be here soon after. They have all been kind enough to make their visits during my school exams so that I can study while they "babysit". Everyone is eager to meet little Caroline and we can't wait to show her off.
We love our little miracle and are so excited to be parents. JP and I just stare at her in amazement. She has long fingers and toes and cute little ears. Her legs are long and lean (like her dad's)...we're still waiting to see who we think her face looks like. It's hard to tell. Our little girl is finally here and we are over joyed.
No comments:
Post a Comment