Thursday, April 08, 2004

I signed up to be a Wharton Diarist. That means I make online posts that appear in the diary section of Wharton's website. The entries also periodically pop up on the side of the Wharton admissions website. I read a lot of diary entries during the application process. Now it's my turn to contribute to future students. I was thinking of writing, "Dear Diary, you are my best friend. I reeeeally like Shawn. She is so fine!" But I thought better of it. Here is what I wrote for my first post:

This is my first post to Wharton Student Diaries. The diaries are a wonderful resource for prospective students to obtain individual viewpoints on the Wharton MBA program. I'm excited to play a part!

Two weeks ago I received my acceptance to Wharton. It was one of the best days in my life because I had been dreaming of getting a Wharton MBA since I was an economics undergrad at the U.S. Naval Academy. My post-Navy life has finally started taking form. Up until March, I was just "getting out of the Navy to get an MBA." I received my acceptance 1 week before HBS and Stanford, but I had already made up my mind early in the application process. The other schools I applied to were: HBS, Stanford, Chicago, and Darden.

Some reasons why I chose Wharton are:
- Wharton has the most rigorous MBA program that will provide you with the best skills to lead in business.
- The Wharton student body is highly cohesive and teamwork oriented. You have to be a team player with good social skills to succeed at Wharton.
- At Wharton, you are able to focus your studies beyond the core curriculum in any area you choose and earn one or two majors to differentiate yourself from other MBA students.
- The Wharton MBA program is consistently lauded by recruiters, business, and ranking sources alike.
- The Wharton student body is internationally diverse which is extremely helpful in providing an international perspective.
- The learning method at Wharton is well-balanced. Professors are not limited to case studies or lecture.
- Huge and responsive alumni network with MBA and undergrad alumni. Wharton alumni will return your calls, unlike some schools.
- Superb career management center.

I am certain Wharton will be the best MBA program for me. It will provide me with the skills, network, and experience necessary to smoothly transition from military leadership to business leadership. I can't wait to start pre-term in August!

If you have any questions, feel free to email me.

No comments: